jak in the box: Making Space ~ Going to Space?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Making Space ~ Going to Space?

I heard not too long ago, to bring in the new you have to let go of the old. Clear space to allow for new experiences.

Yesterday I did the final walk-through of our old house to make sure everything was in order. It has been sitting silent and alone for over a month. With the exception of * Stanley the Spider keeping his eyes on the backyard, and my friends Tdot & J who have been doing a daily drive-by, and weekly mowing (yes, I have very good friends).

Anyhow, I thought I would be o.k. I thought, no big deal - just checkin' on the place. I was immediately saddened by the damp, musky, haven't been lived in smell that hit me as the garage door opened. I thought, ewe that's gross, then, aww that's sad. As I walked up the stairs I heard my own shuffling echo back at me. I looked at the clean carpets and envisioned little jak's sneakers scattered in the entrance, his jackets laying on the floor, his book bag laying upside down on the stairs. Then I remembered the day we moved in to that house. Empty and waiting to be filled. It was so exciting, so new. Yesterday, it was a shell of our home. 8 years of our lives. 8 years of safeness for my family. The first 8 years of my little boy's school life - that I'll never get back. Then I thought, jak don't think that way. We are starting something new. Not as comfortable, yet. Not as homey, yet. We are opening ourselves up to new experiences. New people. Going in a new direction. (I sorta feel like Star Trek here - where no man has gone before...)

The closing is final tomorrow, and I'm ready. Goodbye's said. Tears shed - sad & happy. Here's hoping Mr. Stanley doesn't meet the new owner's broom. Run Stanley, run!


* I didn't get rid of him all summer because his web was, well my screen door to keeping out the moths {moths eat yarn}, and I didn't have the heart to kill him. So, I made sure to let him know there would be new people coming in and they may not appreciate him the way I did. Besides it's getting cold and he should find a warmer spot.

3 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger Steph VW said...

Aw, J. You made me cry.

While I didn't spend a lot of time at your old place, I'll never forget the good times we had at there... Knitting in the living room; dyeing hair in the kitchen; guitar hero; spilling drinks on your couch; watching Mr. JAK burn the recycling in the fire; you wearing rubber boots and shorts; learning about spider-dogs from E; eating lobster... and knowing that some of my super-special homemade jam received top praise in that house... well that memory is going to carry me through to the grave.

Adieu old house. You served the JAK family well.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Tdot said...

Good times was definitely had by all... But I dare say, memories just like those and many more await us all in your new home. Afterall, it ain't the house the made them, it was the people in the house who did...

So don't fret, there will be a wine stain on your couch in no time!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger affectioknit2 said...

Congratulations and best wishes on your move!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home