jak in the box: Spring cleaning... nesting... chaos.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Spring cleaning... nesting... chaos.

And so, here I am amongst old CDs, Christmas ornaments, stashed clothes (I might someday wear, might need for an occasion, might someday fit or come back in style), books, and - of course, my yarn stash.

What do I NEED, what WILL I need, and what can be reused, recycled, regiven (yes, I know you do it too - it's a perfectly good little train money bank. Silver. I bought it for my son, then hid it and well, am turning into my mother and just found it. It's still in the BOX.), and what needs to be thrown away - forever?

This, my friends is Spring Cleaning for me. I pile up & pack away all year. This one week I PURGE! Hard core. So much so, my husband worries when he's at work. He comes home and ruffles through the bags. Aw common! He urges, we need this, I need this.

Nope, it's goin'
, I confirm. He hasn't seen it in three years - hasn't asked for it, thought about it... until he sees it - then he needs it.

I was thinking about this. And well, fair is fair. Last night as we sat in the living room (watching Hell's Kitchen - and to think, I pondered the idea of being a Chef), I said ~ Are you ready for this my friends ~ I said, I think I'm going to sell some of my yarn.

And just like now ~ there was silence.

He looked at me.

I looked at him.

He pressed pause.

I saw, what I can only describe as Shock n' Awe in his eyes that slowly turned to pity, then defiance. "You shouldn't to that."

"But there's no space. I'm now buying furniture to house my yarn. Furniture that is expensive, and requires space. I'm taking over the house." I realized I was starting to sound panicked. I was thinking about yarn I had, that I forgot I had. It was for a project... a wonderfully, beautiful project... that... I ... can't... remember. But I'm sure the pattern is in my binder. Anyhow, I became overwhelmed. Really? Really am I going to knit with the bright orange accented with green & yellow specks merino I bought on sale (@ 1/2 price - it was a steal really)? I donno. Alone with my stash, I began to doubt myself. Do I NEED it?

"You CAN'T do that. No, no, this is getting out of hand. You should wait... why don't you give it some time."

I looked into his eyes. There I saw, not the man I married. Not the tattooed, ear-ring wearin', tough bald guy. I saw. A man who understands. A man who knows what it's like... to be married to a woman - addicted to knitting. An enabler.

Every knitting woman needs one. And so, welcome Spring! I will clean around the yarn. Now honey, where shall we put this new book case that will house my baskets of love ;)

4 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, what a sweetie.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Steph said...

J - this is so well written! I love it.

And Mr. Jak is awesome, on so many levels.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger knitjo said...

I got rid of some really ugly acrylic last week, sent it to the Sally Ann for some newbie knitter on a university budget...I hope!
Now, my smallish stash has nothing but great stuff!

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Cali said...

Wow you have the best yarn husband ever! That is so sweet. I'm sure he will be enabling you for years to come :)

And keep the stash... you never know when orange comes back in style... or you meet someone who whants an orange shawl... you just never know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home