jak in the box: Friends in flight

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Friends in flight

3 Airports and 12 hours later we made it home from Florida safe & sound. Lil' jak and I left Mr. jak in Florida as he had work to do - I know, weird. In Florida the week after our vacation - the same location... I don't ask questions just for more money for yarn :)

This left lil' jak & I on our own to travel through airport after airport, customs, luggage switch, and all the Fun those things come with in strange airports. For some reason, Mr. jak was worried and didn't think I could handle it on my own - I have travelled before, I can read signs... anyhoooo

New York was the only issue we came across. It wasn't lost luggage, it wasn't late flights, it was a people issue. When lil' jak & I checked in to get our boarding passes we were told didn't have seats together, but someone on the flight may switch with us. I could see the look of panic cross lil' jak's face. He said he was ok (being brave for me), but I could see he was worried.

When we got on the plane he took his seat and I stood to assess the situation. Three seats per row there was an older couple with a seat between them - where I was supposed to sit. I asked if they were together. They indicated yes. I asked if I could have the isle seat so I could be closer to and see my son. The woman looked at me as though I had just taken her Gucci bag and run down the isle with it - horror, disgust, surprise. Granted, perhaps she has a fear of the middle seat, a phobia, and I was just the thing that was teetering her decision to fly.

Before she could answer a woman sitting behind lil' jak touched my hand and said, "You can have my seat to be close to your son. I can't believe some people". She then collected her things and continued to grumble the words I wanted to, but didn't. Then she sat beside the very woman she dissed (who by this time did move over). This left the kind woman and myself both in isle seats - beside each other. Then the most amazing thing happeded - you know what it is... she pulled out her KNITTING!!! HA! I knew it! She was a knitter. She was knitting a sweater for her little boy who she just left at his nannies while she had to travel. We were instant friends.

Now, those of you who know me know that when a knitter pulls out some fiber the first words out of my mouth are: Can I touch it? Oh How I Wanted to Touch her Yarn. I yearned to say it - but I held it in, because she was obviously a New Yorker and could and would tell anyone off in a second. So we talked about the project and what kind of yarn it was. I could see it glistening in the rays of sun that shone in through the little circular window...

After getting lil' jak settled, and myself together. I pulled out my knitting - a pair of socks with Socks that Rock (left over fr. Prayer Shawl). A lacy pattern - Hedera (Knitty), by Cookie. The first thing she says? THE FIRST THING - Can I touch it? Of course, I say. I wanted to touch yours, but was afraid to ask. There we sat on the airplane, an aisle seperating us, touching each other's yarn. Lives lived apart - connected through our sons, and our knitting.

Later, lil' jak said to me, I knew you two were going to get along when I heard her ask to touch your yarn :)

He knows me too well.

Florida was wonderfully warm. The kids had a spectacular time - we ran them every day till they were so exhausted they fell asleep before they hit their beds.

The only picture we have of the 7 of us:



And my beautiful girl - the day of her wish:


Thanks to the sun, the dolphins, and the knitters of the world ~ xo

4 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Steph said...

BEST STORY EVER! Of course a knitter would get up to change seats with you!

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, that's a nice story. Love that the knitting lady shamed the sourpuss.

Dolphin kisses!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger knitjo said...

Great story.
That reminds me of the time when daughter and I sat in business class because those were the only seats left on the plane. She assured me she didn't mind sitting alone, however, when a man sat next to her she started flipping out...she wanted the whole row (of two seats) to herself!!!
I was sitting in front of her and gave her my worst EVIL EYE between the seats. The flight attendant asked if she should ask the gentleman to move and I told her through gritted teeth (I was fumming) that she would be good. Meanwhile, my seven-year-old son sat in front of me, a little angel with a mother and baby next to him. I was so proud! My daughter redeemed herself of course and was good (short 90 minute flight!)

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger affectioknit2 said...

What a nice story! I love the picture of your niece with the dolphin - so sweet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home