jak in the box: It's like... giving birth to a sock

Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's like... giving birth to a sock

With all the baby talk, and new babies around me I must say I'm feeling a weee bit... maternal. Just a Wee Bit. Nothing that can't be cured by, I donno, a recording of a baby crying playing at 3 a.m. I digress, starting a sock with figure 8 Cast On knitting magic loop is a bit like giving birth - without the bad and just the goodness. I knit the mate to this sock this time last year and may have to rip it and do again as it was knit toe up with the short row start. Completely different look. Perhaps I'll wear them together just so people have to take a look to figure out... hmmm something is different here - what is it?

Here's the new baby, just arriving...

Yarn: Vesper, Sweet Little Mamma
Needles: 2.5mm 31" circ.


To help me through February I knit a lovely neck warmer from this season's issue of Knitty. The yarn I used is a little scratchy so I don't wear it too often. Thinking about lining it with some fleece.

Tudora
Yarn: Himalyaan Yarn C
60% Wool, 40% Recycled Silk




For something to look forward to wearing in the Spring I've started the Corset Pullover by Robin Melanson from Interweave Knits Spring 2003. I'm using a cheap cotton bought at Wallyworld. It does the trick.

Yarn: EcoCotton
Needles: 4.5 mm




Finished this eons ago, but I don't think I blogged it. It's a pattern from Blue Sky Alpaca - I can't even remember the name - that happens with my age... I knit it with a linen blend I bought when I first started knitting. I really love the drape of it. The color is not great, but it's neutral and will go with anything.

Shawl from Blue Sky Alpaca
Yarn: Fuego Gringasco




And here are the finished product of the Tyrolean socks (as blogged earlier). I love them, but am disheartened that when I wear them the cables can't be seen under my jeans. I'll have to wear them with my shorts :) or with a skirt - that's do-able.

Yarn:Green Mountain Spinnery Cotton Comfort
20% Organic Cotton, 80% Fine Wool
Note: My gauge was a little off as this is not exactly the yarn called for - they turned out a little shorter than the pattern indicates. No biggy.





Off to start a shawl in Seasilk for a special trip...

3 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Blogger Steph said...

I held Miss E tonight and my ovaries exploded. I just wanted to knit little things for her to wear. How weird is that?

I love the shawl. Did you end up doing the crochet edging on it? I can't tell...

The socks are beautiful. They may be a good reason to bring back flood pants.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My maternal instinct is a little wobbly. I'm embarassed to admit it, but although I really like babies and kids, my ovaries seem to handle it really well. Maybe its the fear of being a parent talking.

Nice FO's. I love the shawl! And the socks! Oh and the neckwarmer!

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger knitjo said...

Hey, I have that shawl too. It's the diagonal shawl. I was thinking about frogging it, but I just may continue because it looks great...Did you cut your hair?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home