jak in the box: Christmas time is comin'... Christmas time is ....

Monday, November 21, 2005

Christmas time is comin'... Christmas time is ....

To all the humbugs out there - there is not denying it. Christmas is coming. This is how I know for certain.




My Christmas Cactus is blooming! Isn't it beautiful? It normally blooms during Thanksgiving (Canada), but each year it has bloomed a little later. I suspect one year it will actually bloom during Christmas.

Very sad news - I dug out my Christmas ornaments and many of them are damaged beyond repair. My lace and silk angel tree topper ... gone, my dough ornaments... gone - I bought these about 12 years ago in NB for our first Christmas. I normally pack & store the delicate ornaments upstairs in the spare room, but I guess I forgot last year and they got put in the basement and the mold got them. Good reason to buy new ornaments - but still very sad. I didn't realize how attached we become to our ornaments...

On the bright side, Mr. Harley a.k.a Satellite Dog (echo) the superhero, due to the cone that has been on his head for the last 8 weeks, will be getting stitches removed today and will hopefully be back to himself. I'm sure his peripheral vision is a little messed up, so I expect a little banging around for the next little while.


Knitting ~
Well I'm working on several projects and still buying more wool for more projects... I'm not sure that I'll finish them all, but I shall try. I'm about going crazy with the fuzzy feet... Some finished some knit, but not felted, and still more neatly wrapped in their skeins awaiting my needles. So far I have used Lamb's Pride, but yesterday I bought some Cascade at Tangled Skeins and am going to try that to see what the difference is. Will let you know.

I also started knitting socks! My very first sock is almost complete. An inch or so more and I'll be rounding the toe. They are for my FIL. I'm not sure if he'll like them because the Opal (also purchased at Tangled Skeins) I'm using has a tiny bit of pink and purple in it. They are beautiful though. I'm using the new 6 ply, as I thought this would be a thicker knit (as well as a faster one:)

So far:


Interesting - even my honey and my little C said they would like knit socks! That's great, but what have I gotten myself into? Perhaps I'll have to dedicate my life to socks as well...

He was so excited, he even tried it on (mind you he had a little sippy sip of the vino beforehand). They are a little slouchy on him, but will hopefully fit FIL.




He's a good sock model.










2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger Steph said...

JAK! I'm so sorry about your Christmas ornaments. That totally sucks.
The socks look wonderful. I love the photo with S's foot and the vino glass in the background. It looks like something that would show up in Weekend Knitting "the wine and cheese version."

:)

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry to hear about the ornaments - do you know that we have been married for 5.5 yrs and have never decorated our house for x-mas? Because we don't have kids yet, we still celebrate at the parents' houses and can't be bothered decorating for ourselves. Grinchy.

The bright side: think how fun it will be to accumulate new ornaments. Little C could make some, or you could knit some...even have a theme...

To Harley the satellite: Hello, poor little sweetie. I hope you're feeling better. You are very brave and handsome and "1 rilly gud boy dawg". (said while patting whatever areas are not shaved/covered in stitches/obscured by the cone)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home