jak in the box: Ad World ~ I'm venting again

Friday, October 21, 2005

Ad World ~ I'm venting again

My husband and I were having a 'discussion' last evening about this Ad Man he went to see in TO a few weeks back. From what he described of the session, I immediately tagged this man an ego-maniac. Right or wrong, I did. Partly due to the flamenco dancers he had preceeding his speech, partly due to the camera men he had mingling with the crowd to find out how they found out about him, what they thought about him, etc. I donno, couldn't he have met the people himself? I have nothing against flamenco dancers, I like them, I just couldn't figure out what they had to do with an advertising seminar.

Back to the 'discussion'. Honey told me that Mr. Ad Man had been fired yesterday for comments he made at his session. He went on to explain that 2 female execs posed the question to Mr. Ad Man, why do you think there are not more females in the ad business? Mr. Ad Man went on to explain that in his opinion women couldn't do the job. They were too busy taking care of children and their homes... ok - I'm gonna let that sink in.

I excitedly remarked to my honey, good - he should be fired. My husband did not like this remark - you can see how the discussion proceeded.

Anyhooo, today there was an article in the Globe and mail "Top ad guru quits in sexist huff " riticism of women's fitness for top jobs causes international stir

And because my husband knew how passionate I was about this story, he forwarded it to me. Here's my rebutal of the story to him:

The last sentence states "...they often don't want to devote as much time to their careers," Mr. Kemp said. The key word there is want. How does Mr. Kemp know what women as a people Want? Of course women want to be successful in their careers, they want to devote time, and travel the world like their male counterparts, the want equal pay for doing so, they want a support system at home they know they can trust so they don't feel guilty or like their abandoning their children. Women want the same things as men, they are just not given the same support systems. Right or wrong. I do find it very interesting how men are discussing what women can and can't do, what women do and don't want. I believe and hope Chris Staples was also correct when he said this is "the last gasp of the dinosaur". As I've mentioned to you before, you and you're generation do not seem to think and feel as the 'dinosaurs' do. So generation, after generation there will be progress. That gives me hope the next time an article such as this is printed it will be the women themselves discussing what they want, what they can do, and not looking like winy girls who tattletaled.

You know it's sad when such a man can be smart in business, and in advertising, and so ignorant of the world around him.

OK - that's my ad beef for today.

Next up - knitting.

2 Comments:

At 12:43 AM, Blogger Steph said...

OMG - that is so infuriating. There are too many dinosaurs JAK... and some of those dinosaurs are women. I hate to say it, but I've seen evidence of it.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger jak said...

That's true Steph... that's true...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home