jak in the box: Summer Knittin

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Summer Knittin

Well, it's been a while. Mostly because these little hands have been a knittn'! Amazed by what's happening to me - this has turned into a complete obsession. My family will completely agree. I knit on the way to vacation...





I find farms on the vacation route...

Angora Bunny

See? That means farm...



And voila - they make yarn! They even had a yarn shop - I was shocked... well, Mr. jak and little jak were ... although, suspicious the entire time. They humor me. Needless to say, whenever they hear 'let's stop by at a farm I found online', they are prepared - now.

This particular farm was quite lovely. On our way to Cavendish, PE it's nestled in a little town called Belfast - you know the one don't you? Mini Mills! A family owned and operated yarn heaven. We walked around the farm looking at Alpaca's, Marino Sheep, Ducks, dogs, and chickens (see? farm), then ventured into the shop. The first thing I noticed was the wonderful contradiction of what knitting is today. Computers programming the loom that was behind the shop weaving wonderful shawls, placemats, and scarves - and an old fashioned antique cash register (cash only please - this is where Mr. jak handed over his wallet until we could get to a bank machine).

Looking around for a few minutes we found lovlies - hand knit baby sets, hand made soap, and just as we got our bearings a lady asked if we've ever been. Upon saying no, she gladly led us around and gave us a tour of the entire farm. Everything from shaving the sheep, washing the wool, drying it in cupboards, carding, cleaning, spinning, plying, and drying... it was an experience for me as a knitter, the kids, well, as kids, and Mr. jak as a supporter :) The people were wonderful, and the yarn was beautiful. A big shout out to Cookie ~ Hi Cookie ~ the little oreo cookie colored Shitz Tzhu (Harley would L - O - V - E you).

I managed to score some angora - of course. I think I will spoil myself with mittens. I couldn't resist the woven shawls... (sorry no pic yet, but soon). It's so beautiful and was reasonably priced. Motto, 'What if I never come this way again?' And so, it was done.

Some summer knittin' projects: A lovely Opera Scarf (Blue Sky Alpaca - in silk) re-named Gospel Scarf for a beautiful friend of mine:



So quick and easy I thought I should have one for myself:

And a cute little number in a ladder lace pattern:





I really like this one cause it can be worn around the head, waist or neck.

I've also whipped up a couple of Twitterpated bags (sorry again, no pics - camera was broke for some time). They are cute, but the lining sucks if you don't like to sew.

I have added to my stash. Ou ah! Home spun from Tangled Skeins yarn shop. I love, I love. Not sure what this will be moulded into, but something scrumptious... for me :)

Also managed to stop by London Wul in Moncton, NB for the purchase of some - are you ready? - sea silk from Hand Maiden. Ou - I'm so in love with it all I can do is smell it... that sounds bad.. out of context. Anyhow - I don't have a pic right now, but I'm searching for the 'perfect' shawl pattern. If anyone knows of one...

Well kids ~ I'm signing off. There's been so much going on, it's hard to keep up.

A special shout out to KOL! Thanks for having me last week. I rarely get an opportunity to join you. It was lots of fun. Loving the theme song... k 1 p2 what's a .........

jak - in - a - box

3 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opera scarf - perfect idea for the tussah silk sliver that I just bought...(I downloaded the pattern eons ago before it disappeared).

How much sea silk did you buy? If it is just one skein, you will have enough for the diamond fantasy shawl from Sivia Harding (the one I bought when I saw you guys at TS). Now, if you bought two...the options are endless...

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Steph said...

She bought two... and it's beautiful... and I know where she lives. Anyone else? Yarn raid? Who's with me?

JAK - great photos lady. Great projects too. And your startitis is rubbing off.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Megan said...

Crap, I missed meeting you at KOL. Maybe you'll come back again soon??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home