jak in the box: Age & Other Life Ponders

Friday, February 10, 2006

Age & Other Life Ponders

Birthdays (after 21) have never been a highlight for me. Particularly during the year of three -0h (I still can't say it). A friend who tried to console me offered these words of advice, "Life gets better after three-0h". I don't think she remembers telling me that, but I have clung to those words with hope, like the cellulite that clings to my... well, everything.

This year, I have discovered she is right. My perspective is changing, my priorities are shifting, and my purpose is being discovered.

Everyday I look in the mirror with disdain. The creases around my mouth and eyes are getting deeper - probably because I smile a lot. My blossom bottom hasn't stopped blossoming since I was 16 - probably because I like chocolate a lot (and beer, and wine, and chips with dip, don't forget the dip, and Thai food... Shall I go on?). Forever the optimist, I have decided to accept what I have and where I am. Because my friends - I will never be this young again.

I will wake up in the morning and massage cream into my face, look lovingly at my thighs, and be gentle with my heart. My self-talk will be kind, I will do at least one thing a day that makes me happy in my heart, and I will demonstrate my love to my family & friends.

Talking to my grampie today he told me, 'you will always be 16 to me'. And I guess, in my own mind I WILL always be 16 (or 8, depending on the day).

I am still young - and life keeps getting better :)

1 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are doing very nicely - regardless of age. I actually really like smile lines (male or female).

I keep finding cellulite in strange places as I get older. I will spare you the details. The little lines that show up between my eyebrows when I'm concentrating aren't going away like they used to.

There must be something about women after age 30. I feel like I finally want to truely shed my cocoon and claim my identity (now if I can just figure out who I am...).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home