jak in the box: - and we're off!

Monday, January 23, 2006

- and we're off!

Oh so much to tell you about - and so many pics to show (warning - photo heavy post)! Not sure where to start so, I'll start with knitting :)

After the holiday chaos, I decided to have a good look at my stash and plan '06 projects. *After pulling hanks out of drawers, skeins from under beds, and balls of yarn out of discretely placed bags - I proceeded to organize by weight and then by color. I then put copies of patterns with yarn in zip lock baggies, so when I need another project everything is together. I planned Christmas gifts for next year, birthday gifts, and a couple of things for myself. I put everything away swearing, I Will Not Buy more because I Have Enough...

* Note: It's best not to let spouse, friends who don't knit, or your children see the extent of your stash. Yes they know you have yarn, but it's best they don't know exactly how much yarn. Could cause shock, or to thoughts that you might be obsessed. As knitters, we know it's all waiting to fulfill it's potential and be molded by our vision. As a lady at the Shop so accurately said the other day, "The one with the most when she dies, wins."

But I didn't have this:



Rowan kid classic.

Isn't it beautiful? It's the color of a beautiful Cabernet Sauvignon ~ mmmmm. It is going to be the Greek Pullover (Interweave Knits Winter '04, shown in a previous post). I had to buy it because there were only 7 balls left, and what if they sold? What if one sold?

I also purchased a pattern for the Bittersweet Chocolate Celestial Merino I already have. It's so beautiful I could almost leave it as is, all wrapped together in a beautiful hank. But I think Ilga Leja's Diamond on the Diagonal scarf pattern will be a perfect compliment to it:




Currently working on the Clapotis (Knitty.com) - again. I started it this summer, but somehow couldn't get it going. I think you really need to be in the zone with this pattern and once you feel it - you can giver'. This time I'm doing it in HandMaiden Flaxen (67% silk/33%linen). It's beautiful to work with. You know your favorite blanket when you were little? Remember how it made you feel on the inside when you touched it? Yep - that's like this stuff. Not sure if I'm in love with the color I picked. Maybe I'm just tired of it right now, as we've been spending a lot of time together... Will post photo when finished :)


Projects worked on:

Sample for the Shop - Fingerless Glove (pattern from Interweave Knits, Winter '03). This was made from the Himalayan Yarn Co. Tibet Wool/Silk blend. I love how rustic it looks. Next time I think I would add a cable to the top, but it is nice the way it is.






Sample for the Shop - Seed Stitch scarf. This is new yarn at the shop! Great to work with, knits up fast, and looks fabulous. It's the Rosarios Tentacao lime green (the new pink, I hear :)





Speaking of the Shop (Tangles Skeins) is moving the beginning of next week to be in new location First week of February. It's going to be beautiful. Bigger space for more yarn and knitters!! Don't worry it's not going far - one door down from where it is now. PS Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino is on sale right now.... If I were buying yarn - which I'm not, but if I were planning leg warmers and fingerless gloves for my niece for next Christmas I might buy it now... See? SEE how this happens?

Next topic -

I have discovered - rightly or wrongly - iron on patches!!! Ah HA! The new way to BeDazzle. Little C ripped his winter jacket pocket by stuffing too many dinky cars in there, along with gum wrappers, coins, little rocks (he's collecting them), sucker sticks - you get the picture. So, I bought an iron on patch with flames on it. I also noticed they had flowers, fish, and all sorts of pretty patches. Here's my yoga mat and matching pillow - BePatched :)




On another note - We registered our motorbikes last week, because it has been so nice out we thought..... I'm not going to say it. The action of registering the bikes was enough as this week we're supposed to get snow. Murphy's Law at work, yet again.

Bought some knitting books online:
Last Minute Knitted Gifts (because it's so beautiful and has quick projects in it)
Holiday Knits (same as above)
The Knitted Rug (for you Stephie:)

Someday I will knit a rug. Holiday Knits has a cute felted mat that all that Briggs & Little might be good for...

That's all for now folks. Have to go look up yarn shops in TO. Flying out Wednesday for a long weekend to see brothers (2) in law. They'll be so excited to accompany me to the yarn shops... hee heee. Laughing to myself really, as I'm sure they won't find that the least bit humorous.

Chow!
jak










2 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the shop today, and I kept looking at the projects you posted here and saying to Sheryl, "huh. I have seen this before somewhere." Took me about 10 secs to remember where.

Yummy yarn. I'm still thinking about those sparkly fingerless gloves you made...

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Nice yarn, girlie. The colour of fine wine.

I love those wrist warmers too... I've got to get my arse in gear and knit a pair for myself!

Can't wait to see you on Saturday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home