jak in the box: Catching up

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Catching up

Other than losing a wonderful mitten - life has been great. Speeding a lot of time hiding behind books. Yes, I decided to go back to school. I feel way too old to be in school and going from an office environment to a classroom has not been a comfortable transition, but I think I'm settling nicely into my jeans, and sweaters while learning about Holistic Nutrition - and no, it is not taking a concoct 3 days after a full moon, while standing on one foot - as one person casually said to me over the holidays (a nurse at that - for shame!).

I guess as soon as the word Holistic comes into anything it is assumed it's wizardry (that would be cool). I'm going to change that about this crazy world. Big Plans...

I have big plans.

Ready for this? I'm changing Holistic to Natural - That's it. Throwing it out into the universe and see what happens.

It is hard to knit while studying, but I have managed. In September I completed the Hour Glass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. Because Tangled Skeins brought in Cash Iroha - in red - I couldn't resist. This was an easy knit while reading... knit on the round - Love It!!



Just finished a Single Cable scarf from OneSkein. I used 2 skeins of Jaeger ComO (off white), so it's Loooong. Matches new winter boots.



Also finished socks - wanted to do self patterning in st. st., so I could knit and talk to non-knitting friends at the same time. Yes, I do still have a few non-knitting friends. They are slowly being converted - one - by - one.

And, have been working on these socks since September... They are Gem Opal - not loving the yarn. It's thick and bulky. This pattern Interweave Spring '06 - called for this yarn, but I'm not loving it - so only 1.25 socks complete. I do like the little bag I tote it around in though.





WARNING: We are about to go into a Sewing Conversation

- This came about when trying to put a lining in a knit purse - one lining was too small, the other too big - together they made a cute little carrier for sock project :)

Since we are talking about sewing - I don't do a lot of it because, frankly I don't like to measure. It's really that simple. I often think sewing would be faster than knitting, but - it just doesn't Lure me. I did, however manage to put together a quilt for my mom for Christmas. Yes, without measuring. I think I had a guided hand (wink to heavens).

My nannie left this earth last May (yes, I have her knitting needles - thank you nannie). When my mom and her sisters were going through her things I asked for some of her dresses and sweaters. They looked at me oddly and filled a bag.

Going through the bag and the process of sewing a quilt was therapeutic. I know it's not perfect (I'm not a quilter), but it is her dresses and her sweaters. I could smell her and feel her around me while I put this together. This was a my mom's Christmas gift. I figured since it was the first Christmas without her mom - she could use warmth around her.



PS
Started these in mourning of my lost mitten (Interweave, Winter '06):


I've always wanted to do thrummed mitts. Now I know they're not all they're cracked up to be. I will finish the other one though. I have made a promise to finish all UFPs before starting another - mainly to get free some needles up :)

jak

3 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor little lost mitten!

Boo - I can't see the hourglass sweater or the thrummed mitts (just a red x).

Very nice scarf, I love the side cable, very unique.

I think the meaning of the word "holistic", has gotten lost over the years and become a buzz word.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gebziThrummed mitts are fiddly to knit but man they're worth it. And I love the colours you picked!

And I can't wait till you graduate. I'll be your first customer!!

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Matches new winter boots"

EXCUSE ME? You've got new off white boots? I can't wait to see them.

And yay - you're back on the internet.

Holistic be darned. Natural Nutrition it is!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home